WANT TO PARTICIPATE IN A CHARITY ANTHOLOGY WITH A DIFFERENCE – NO PRESCRIBED GENRE, OPEN TO ALL AUTHORS?
So – you all know I’m a trustee for The Being Me Charity. I had this kooky idea of putting an anthology together as a fund-raising initiative, from authors willing to participate on a non-profit basis. Sales proceeds will go to the charity. This isn’t an LGBTQ anthology, although I guess that’s where a lot of the stories may come from. The story line could be a challenge though, to perhaps move you out of your comfort zone and produce something different.
I’m looking for
• Short stories, around 2000 -4500 in length. This isn’t set in stone.
• Anything is suitable, from romance, to comedy, mystery, paranormal, drama, sci-fi to angst driven coping tales providing the human-interest aspect is sensitively tackled.
• This is a story about the person and their difference first, then written however the author sees it panning out in whichever way they want to tell it. If that’s M/M, F/F, M/F, etc. then that’s the author’s choice. There is no restriction.
• Gender and sexuality aspects really aren’t key factors to this collection unless that’s the difference the author is writing about or they wish to make it important to their tale.
• Stories need to be about people who feel they are different for any reason. They may be bullied, gay, transgender, or any other aspect of the Rainbow Alphabet. They could be straight, be of a different ethnicity, have two same sex parents, have a disabled sibling or parent, suffer from baldness, weight issues, dress Goth, work in a funeral parlour, do taxidermy, raise pink goats for a living or have something they feel sets them apart from the usual ‘societal norms’ of acceptance which leads to conflict and angst.
• It can be about people who’ve embraced their difference and own it; or people who struggle with it and keep it hidden.
• It can be YA, to NA, to more adult stories.
• It can be a family drama or simply one person’s story. It can be a person’s journey or simply a glimpse of one day in their lives.
• NOTE- ALL story content written will need to be suitable for a YA audience.
• There is no formula, no pre-conceived suggestions, just your own interpretation of this theme.
• I understand some readers might not like mixing genres, if that’s what happens, like this. That isn’t the point though- we’d hope that someone wanting to read this type of book will be open enough to the idea of reading about people from all walks of life, all sexualities, lifestyles and outlooks, all contained in one volume.
• The ultimate lure for someone to buy this book could be they get to read about someone #justlikethem. So #nodiscrimination #liveandletlive
I have a publisher for this project- Louis Harris from Cool Dudes Publishing has been kind enough to offer to provide some editing services, the cover and the publishing of the book. RAM PA Group are going to be co-ordinating all this for me.
If you’re interested please PM me and once I have enough interest, I’ll send you the publisher’s story spec and details and we can talk deadlines and process. Right now, I have no publication date in mind. It’s all open to negotiation!
Take a look at our website to see exactly what the Being Me Campaign is all about. It could even give you some inspiration when you read or listen to some of the stories people have submitted.